Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Following the Master





                Christians everywhere claim the love of Christ, and many help build communities and churches around the globe. Some churches have grown to mega numbers. But are they as deep as they are wide? Do they see and reach out to the needs of hurting people, no matter who they are? Do they stay sensitive to God’s leading, or do they get so caught up in numbers and growth and meeting man-made goals that they drift from God’s perfect plan?



                God calls us to respect our leadership and to support one another in our Christian community and in our church family. I believe this is not only a command but also a representation of Christ and His love for the church. But what is any organization or community made up of? What is any church family made up of? Individual believers. Sadly, sometimes those individual believers become so committed to a leader that they lose their focus on Christ. Or they get so immersed in a program or goals of the church or other ministry that they become insensitive to what the Holy Spirit is leading them to do. The programs and goals may be excellent, but we should not let anything become more important than our personal relationship with Jesus and our obedience to the leading of the Holy Spirit. We are in danger if we depend on people or things or theology more than on Christ.



                No matter how large the organization or church family, it is still made up of individual believers. If those individual believers have a close relationship with Christ and follow Him, the ministry can be effective. The leadership is there to equip the people to do the work of the ministry and reach out to the lost with the love of Christ. The leadership’s role is not to do all the praying, do all the Bible study and hand-feed it to the congregation, or do all the visiting. Every individual in the body needs to passionately seek a closer walk with Christ. To seek direction from Him through His Word and through prayer. To use the gifts God has given. When individual believers are committed first to personal growth with Christ, they enhance and encourage growth among the whole group. They become reflections of Christ, supporting one another and promoting the Spirit of Christ. Only then can the church or organization most effectively do what God has called them to do.



                The success of any church group or organization depends on individual commitment to God’s will. God has gifted each individual for a unique purpose. When we recognize our gifts and use them according to God’s plan for us, He will weave the roles of the individuals into a stronger and more effective body of Christ. If all were prophets, to whom would we prophesy? If all were pastors, who would hear the Word of God? If all were laymen, who would preach? When we all follow the personal leading of Christ, we build up and support one other in the community setting and make a positive difference in the kingdom of God.



                The following allegory demonstrates the importance of our individual commitment to Christ. It is not a condemnation of the community setting and support. The commitment of individual believers to Christ serves to strengthen Christian community. We are called to love and support one another in our joys and our sorrows. To commend one another to Christ and to be responsible to one another. But all this must be supported by our commitment first and foremost to Christ. As you read and consider the allegory, may God speak to your spirit and build up within you a commitment to Him no matter what the cost. May you realize that you can make your way through any challenge if you put your trust in Christ.



                Come with me for a moment into the musings of my mind. Allow me to paint a picture of kingdom truths. I pray it will make a difference in your life . . . and in your commitment to Jesus.



The Dream


                As I lay musing on the Word of God, I had a vision whose meaning I could not ignore. I saw the whole world as one place. Many of the people were as sheep without a shepherd. And then I saw Him. My heartbeat soared when I saw His face. His eyes reflected extraordinary kindness . . . and a certain sadness. He beckoned and yet few came. He gave an invitation but hardly any accepted. That must explain the sadness. The love that radiated from His face spoke of love so great that He would freely give His life to save others. And then in my dream the vision expanded . . . .



                I saw a great mountain on my right and many more on my left. An entire range of mountains formed a circle with the highest peak reaching up into heaven. And in the midst of these mountains was a great valley where millions of people were milling about. They were scattered throughout the great valley and seemed to be immersed in a frenzy for gain. From where I stood, they looked to be mad as they ran back and forth gathering this and gathering that. Some were engrossed in pleasures, laughing and being merry. Others simply slept their time away as though time would never end. Some were frantically trying to get more . . . more money, more popularity, more power, more stuff. The madness of it astonished me, and I pondered its existence.



                  Then I saw droves of people scaling the mountains that surrounded the valley, some on this mountain and some on that one. Some had reached the top of their chosen mountain, but their faces reflected little satisfaction in the heights they had reached. 



                One mountain was different. It was larger. It was mightier. It was majestic. The peak was not visible because of the clouds surrounding it. Looking at such a mighty mountain could instill fear. Fear of climbing it. But a few people were slowing making their way up. They had a determined look on their faces as though they were motivated by something bigger than their own desires. The pathway up the mountain, although narrow, was clearly defined. The path continued even through areas that appeared impossible to scale.



                 Some of the people trying to climb this mountain chose paths other then the narrow, well-defined one. On the lower levels were people who had reached dead-ends because they had not followed the established pathway. Slowly this picture began to form in my mind and my curiosity increased . . . I longed for its meaning. 



                As my eyes followed the defined pathway up the mountain, I noticed the contrasts in terrain. It was steep at times. It dipped into valleys at times. Springs bubbled along the way for those who were thirsty. Some points presented grueling challenges—every climber was put to the test. These difficult spots caused many to turn back and return to one of the valleys below, where they settled and stayed. From these valleys at different stages up the mountain, they encountered future travelers and were eager to give these new climbers a message. Residents of each valley recited the same theme. I listened to what they had to say. “We have searched and found the answer and have determined we can go no further. For you to go on is foolishness and means certain failure.” Some were discouraged by these words and settled in a valley. But some continued climbing as though they were determined to conquer the mountain’s heights. They looked like ants trailing up the mountain. Some were scaling even the most difficult places. It was as if they were led by an inner desire and commissioned by a greater force or calling.



                 Slowly my eyes followed them up this mountain until I saw a scene that astounded me. Far up on the side of the mountain was one of these valleys, much larger than the ones below. A mass of people were milling about. The air teemed with confusion and tension. Small groups huddled, engaged in animated discussion with one another yet ignoring the other groups. Some individuals stood alone, rejected. It appeared that each group member had similar goals, but they constantly argued among themselves what to do or how to do it. And each group avoided associating with other groups as though they were afraid of being tainted with their misinterpretation of some truth. Some, discouraged with the bickering and confusion, were heading back down the mountain. It seemed that most of the arguing was related to crossing the chasm that lay ahead of them. They disagreed about whether one could cross it alone or whether they needed to be directed by an organized group or a designated leader.



                Even with the disagreements and confusion, these people were different from those in the big valley far below, the ones frantically searching for gain. The mountain people appeared to be expecting something grand to happen, like the coming of the One who would take them to the heights above. 



                Then I noticed a bridge on the highest point at the edge of this valley. Carved in rock, it spanned a vast distance. From this side one could not see what lay on the distant side, for it was hidden in a mist of clouds. It would require faith for the climbers to believe the bridge reached somewhere better then where they now stood. This bridge was daunting even to the bravest. No one could walk across its narrow surface. 



                Then came a Man of great stature, reaching out His hand and beckoning to those in the valley. It was the kind One. The One filled with love. One climber with little strength reached out and took the Master’s hand, then walked with Him across this great span. Far below was the big valley with its maddening distractions and closer up were the rocks of despair inhabited by many who had given up the journey. They had taken the hand of the Master but then became distracted and let go, only to slip and fall to the rocks below. Some fell to their death. Some returned to the upper valley and settled for that height. This scene further explained the sadness that touched the kind face of the One who had appeared first in my dream. People didn’t want to finish the journey enough to trust Him for His help. Happily, others were not ready to give up. They again reached out for the Master’s hand and continued on the journey. 



                I wondered, What does this mean? Why do they wish to cross this great bridge? Suddenly I found myself at the bridge’s beginning. I looked out onto its rocky surface and saw a path, well worn by the Master. His treading back and forth on its surface had worn it smooth for our crossing. As He drew near, I saw the love on His face and felt His hand drawing me to Him. As I prepared to step out, many came to me and warned me not to go without man’s approval. Some cautioned me the journey was impossible. They said I would never make it. I wondered why they could not see the Master and feel His leading hand on their shoulders. Then I noticed with sadness that they had been blinded from looking too long at the depths below instead of looking on the face of the Master. They milled around enjoying the height they had settled for—and didn’t want anyone to go higher. I faltered for a moment. They were warning me of certain failure. But then I turned about and saw His face. I knew I would walk with Him. His eyes were full of love for these who stayed behind, who settled where they were comfortable. He communed with them where they were, but longed for them to gain new heights with Him. To become all He had designed them to be. I put my hand in the hand of the Master and said, “Lead on, my Lord.” We stepped out into space as though there were no bridge.



                I noticed that if I focused on His face, peace followed and fear was gone. But when I began to be distracted by the emptiness around me, or the depths below me, I began to waver. In fact, I began to long for the comfort and safety of the valley I had just left. I glanced below at the bodies of those who had failed. For a brief moment I almost turned back to agree with those who stayed behind. Perhaps they were right. Maybe we could go no further. When I began to loosen my grasp on the Master’s hand, I felt myself beginning to fall. Quickly I look on His face. Such love. Such kindness. Such strength. I put my hand firmly in His and once more felt His peace envelop me. As we walked, I noticed He never pushed me forward nor held me back. He simply matched His pace to fit mine and patiently waited on me when I faltered. I knew if I chose to turn back, He would allow me to go. But I also knew my retreat would cause Him pain. He never lost that look of immense love for me, and together we walked side by side. I even found if I did not look down, the view around me was beautiful. The walk became one of joy.  



                 There were a few places where fear overwhelmed me and I couldn’t walk. But the Master simply stooped and picked me up, carrying me until the path was not so frightening. What a man, I thought, that He would bear my burdens as though they were His. And He never lost that love and compassion for me, even when I failed to trust Him only minutes after He had proved His trustworthiness. 



                As we walked along, the confusion in the background faded and was overtaken by the sound of music on the other side. And as we entered the mist, the sound grew louder. I heard singing more beautiful than I had ever heard. The magnificent chorus was inspired by the joy that radiated from those who had given their all for something and Someone greater than themselves. Then suddenly we were on the other side. Thinking back, I was surprised at how short the walk had been. We entered a new valley where I found a spring that quenched my thirst. I turned to thank the Master, but He was leaving . . .  once more traveling through the mist. I began to weep. He turned and said, “My child I am always with you. You need not fear. For each bridge that stretches out in front of you, I will be there to walk you safely to the other side.”



                My heart leaped within me and I joined the chorus of those who had gone before me. I knew I would journey up this mountain again. I knew that whenever He called out to me and beckoned me, I would follow, even if all my friends tried to dissuade me. I had learned that each time we follow the Master’s beckoning, we will gain new heights in our faith and new joys in Him. I felt sadness for those who remained content where they were, without a will to follow the Master along the narrow path. 



                Once again in my dream I saw the Master beckoning to those resting in the upper valley. I noticed that He called to those who had not been there long. I realized that people who settle at a certain height for a lengthy time no longer yearn to cross the bridge or to climb higher. They don’t watch for the Master’s beckoning hand. They are content to stay in their comfort zone with friends who urged them there.



Considering My Dream



                So what did my dream mean? The world is the great valley and the people there are the unsaved running about in search of fulfillment but never finding it because they are searching in all the wrong places. Many are following strange doctrines and gods. They believe they can find fulfillment and happiness in wealth, or good times, or fame, or power, or things. Sometimes they climb one of the lower mountains, but when they reach the top, they don’t find the satisfaction they had sought. They may find brief moments of happiness, but they will never find lasting joy. 



                The great mountain is Christianity and the narrow path is the way laid out by Christ. Those who begin climbing this mountain have heard of Calvary and set out to gain its reward. But some try to reach the summit through good works or following rules—not through the blood of Christ. They don’t recognize their need for a Savior. They scale the lower altitudes, only to find themselves at a dead end. They never climb the mountain and may even return to the great valley of the world.



                Others believe they are sinners and that Jesus died for their sins. They choose to receive God’s gift of forgiveness and begin to climb higher on the mountain. They are determined to glorify Him and follow His pathway, depending on Him to help them make the climb. 



                God alone knows who is saved and sincere in their decision to follow Him. Some who begin to climb the narrow path become discouraged when things become difficult and they return to their old ways. They choose their own desires over Jesus and His path to eternity.



                Others reach a certain height but are afraid to continue climbing. Or they are misled or discouraged by others and are content to go no further. They never know the fulfillment of Christ. They never become all He has created them to be.



                The people who reach the higher valleys have found peace in Christ but have not trusted Him with their all. They become content in their circumstances and friendships and quit looking for ways to grow closer to Him. They are unwilling to sacrifice all for Christ. Their friendships are too important; their status among other believers is more important than doing all Christ has called them to do. They contribute little to advancing the kingdom.



                Those willing to sacrifice all for Christ reach out and take His beckoning hand, and He leads them to new heights. When they face difficulties and challenges, they keep their eyes on Jesus and trust Him and His plan. They continue to scale the mountain, moving ever higher and higher as their relationship with the Master grows.



                We all come to times of decision in our walk with Jesus. Are we willing to leave all behind, even our friendships, if necessary, to fulfill the will of God? Are we willing to trust God even when we don’t understand the circumstances? Those who do will know a peace that will make any sacrifice of small price.



                God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac on an altar, even though he was the promised son. God did not require the life of Isaac in the end; He just wanted to be sure Abraham would obey.

Abraham trusted God and His plan more than what he could see. Are you willing to do the same?



He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that
loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.         
                                                                                                        -  Matthew 10:37 KJV


No comments:

Post a Comment